Every year, CanFASD publishes a list of our picks for the top FASD research articles published the previous year. The goal is to highlight some of the great work that is being done in this field.
A group of CanFASD staff members, Research Leads, and members of our Family Advisory Committee selects the articles. The group chooses research that aligns best with CanFASD’s areas of focus and that is generalizable to Canadians, can influence policy or practice, is ground-breaking or newsworthy, and is scientifically rigorous.
We didn’t include articles on FASD prevention or maternal health this year. Instead, our Prevention Lead and her team will publish an annotated bibliography specifically for FASD prevention research in the spring.
This year we’ve narrowed it down to the 40 articles. This is just a fraction of some of the incredible research we saw over the last year. The papers in bold are available open access. The articles are listed in alphabetical order by author. Please read the original text for full citations. Without further ado, here are the top FASD research articles of 2022!
Assessment, Diagnosis, and Clinical Presentation
- Comparison of three systems for the diagnosis of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders in a community sample
- Behavior regulation skills are associated with adaptive functioning in children and adolescents with prenatal alcohol exposure
- Adaptive behavior, sleep, and physical activity in adolescents with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Aggressive behaviour and violence in children and adolescents with FASD: A synthesizing review
- Interventions for improving executive functions in children with Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD): A systematic review
- Responding to the unique complexities of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Towards Healthy Outcomes for individuals with FASD
- Psychotropic Medication Usage in Individuals with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and Psychiatric Co-morbidities in Canada
- Prenatal alcohol exposure and mental health at midlife: A preliminary report on two longitudinal cohorts
- Suicidality and associated factors among individuals assessed for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder across the lifespan in Canada
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and suicidality: What does the literature tell us?
- Brain iron and mental health symptoms in youth with and without prenatal alcohol exposure
- An intersectionality-based policy analysis of Canadian Child Advocate Reviews of infants, children and youth with prenatal substance exposure and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in child welfare care
- Children prenatally exposed to alcohol and other drugs: What the literature tells us about child welfare information sources, policies, and practices to identify and care for children
- Adverse childhood experiences, associated stressors and comorbidities in children and youth with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder across the justice and child protection settings in Western Australia
Caregivers and Families
- ‘It’s rewarding because I get the love’: Grandparents raising grandchildren with Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Caregivers’ experiences and perceptions of suicidality among their children and youth with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder
- `I’m always up against a brick wall with them’: Parents’ experiences of accessing support for their child with a newly recognised developmental disorder
- A comparison of the demographic and clinical characteristics of caregivers of Autistic children and caregivers of children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- A family-directed approach for supporting individuals with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder
- Risk, rights and deservedness: Navigating the tensions of Gladue, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and settler colonialism in Canadian courts
- Understanding the needs of justice-involved adults with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in an Indigenous community
- The neurocognitive profiles of justice involved people with Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: A systematic review
- Rates and implications of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder among released offenders with mental disorder in Canada
Socio-Political, Ethical, and Policy-Related
- Representation matters: Race, gender, class, and intersectional representations of Autistic and disabled characters on television
- The alcohol industry and social responsibility: Links to FASD
- Knowledge, attitudes, and practices of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder in health, justice, and education professionals: A systematic review
- What if? Incorporating the voices of those with lived experience to change the focus of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder research
- Nothing about us without us: Essential Considerations for Collaborative Research
Animal, Brain, and Basic Science
- Epigenetic insight into effects of prenatal alcohol exposure on stress axis development: Systematic review with meta-analytic approaches
- Trajectories of brain white matter development in young children with prenatal alcohol exposure
- How much is too much? New evidence associating low levels of prenatal alcohol exposure with brain differences in children (abstract unavailable)
- Evaluation of brain alterations and behavior in children with low levels of prenatal alcohol exposure
- Combining neuroimaging and behavior to discriminate children with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder with and without prenatal alcohol exposure
- Evidence for long‐lasting alterations in the fecal microbiota following prenatal alcohol exposure
- Ear abnormalities among children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis
- Altered bone and body composition in children and adolescents with confirmed prenatal alcohol exposure
- The strengths and positive influences of children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- Toward a strengths-based cognitive profile of children with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders: Implications for intervention
The post Top FASD Articles of 2022 Announced appeared first on CanFASD.